Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What I am learning at Lake Junalaska

     I am in sunny, warm and humid Lake Junalaska attending a coaching training for superintendents and DCMes.  It is the second training I have taken in the coaching approach to ministry.   This training is where we learn the advanced coaching techniques.
     What is the coach approach I can hear you asking?  The coach approach assumes that God has placed in each of us the wisdom we need.  The coach walks alongside a person or group who are trying to attain goals and helps to ask the right questions that will get them where they need to be.  A coach is not an expert, counselor or supervisor. Coaches listen deeply and can help a person identify what is holding them back from attaining their goals.   A coach helps with accountability by having the person being coached set goals and then meeting with them to check in and see how things are going.
     When I took my first coaching training I realized that this is how I operate best and naturally.  I am excited to learn more.  There have been several pastors and churches that I have been in a coaching relationship with in the Alaska Conference.   If you or your church would like to talk more about this opportunity please contact me.  
     I believe that God is waiting for us to be in relationship with our communities and to go where God is leading us to share the good news of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment