Monday, February 27, 2012

Early, On-time and Late Arrivals

     Growing up my parents were always early wherever we went.  We were the first at church and early to the theater and movies.  I don't remember objecting to my parents early timing.  I actually grew up thinking that is just what one does when you go somewhere.
     I get especially anxious if I realize I am going to be late.  I think I am being rude by arriving late or even on time.  I guess there was an implied message in the way my parents approached our arrivals.   I also think it was a part of the time I grew up in - people arrived early for events and got the opportunity to see and talk to others.
     Compare that to what I have seen happening just in church attendance.  Since about 10 years ago it has been common practice for me to walk up the aisle of the church before worship begins and see the church sparsely populated.  Often by the time I kneel, pray and turn around the church is filled with people.  
      This past Sunday was classic at Anchor Park UMC.  I walked in, kneeled to pray and as I began the worship service the pews were very empty.  As I stood up to preach (later in worship) I noticed the church was full of people.
     What does all this mean?  What did it mean when I was growing up and we were always early?  What does it mean today that the tendency is to arrive after the starting time?  What does it mean that as the years go by people are arriving later and later during the worship service?
     I don't have any answers.  I am not upset about this change in behavior.  I find it interesting and am wondering what it reflects about our world and what is happening in people's lives.  
     Those who analyze human behavior have been known to explain why an individual may be consistently late to everything in their lives.  The excuse, I mean explanation is that arriving late is a form of control.  A time may be set for something to begin but the individual is not going to allow someone to tell them what to do - therefore they arrive late to show who is in control.
     Can this be true for our entire society?  This is not just a behavior by a few who are still dealing with childhood issues.  Perhaps things are so hectic in our lives that arriving late is our only option.  I know occasionally I will try to get one last thing done at the house before I leave only to realize it took me longer than I anticipated and I arrive late.
     When my spouse and I go to the movie we are always the first ones to arrive.  We figure that movies are expensive and we want to see it all including the previews and ads.  Maybe movie theaters have trained society to not worry about arriving at the start time because we know there will be a lot of previews before the actual movie starts.
     Another thought I had was the coolness factor.  It was "cool" to arrive early when I was growing up.  Postmodern society may not value early arrivals so it has become "cool" to arrive late.   We know it doesn't pay to arrive on time to the doctor because you always have to wait. (no offense to doctors - just the reality I have experienced) 
     There is a problem with getting in to the habit of late arrivals.  Late arrival becomes a problem for events that definitely start on time.  Things like school, courtroom and airline flights tend to fairly rigid in their start times.
     Whatever the reason I do find it interesting how the world has changed in this way.  If you have an explanation write me a comment because I would love to hear.  Know that I am not upset but just acknowledging a current reality that I find interesting.  Late arrivals definitely impact how we think about organizing our time as planners.
     There is one thing I know for sure - God loves the early, the on-time and the late arrivers.  May we grant one another grace in behaving as we have been created.

No comments:

Post a Comment