Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why the Church Community is so Important!!!!!

     Today for the first time in over a month, I got to worship at my husband's churches - East Anchorage and Anchor Park UMCes.  I have been traveling and attending meetings.   Many of the meetings have been discussing the future of the UMC and much of the conversation is depressing.  At the same time I have been taking classes online through Drew and our conversations there have been about preaching and church models for this new time.   I have to admit I have been feeling a bit discouraged..


     Today I was at two churches where I once served.  They know me well and I am vividly reminded of why the church community is so important.  People are happy to see me and hear about my adventures and to tell me about their lives.  After Anchor Park there was a potluck and I sat and talked to a lot of people and even held a month old baby.  I felt as if I was basking in God's love.


     I was reminded by my church communities that I am a child of God who is valued and loved.   I felt that I had a safe place to come to worship and fellowship.   I have to tell you I am revived and ready to chase after revitalizing our churches and making new places for new people.   My passion is stirring again because I got to be with God's people who know me, accept me for who I am and encourage me to embrace the person God wants me to become.


     The church community is God with skin on and I am sad to think there are some who do not know that community.  We need to change that.  I am alive again to God's calling.  Thank you to my church communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment