Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Starting With Love - Greeting Everyone

This past Sunday I was rushing from my house (after putting Easter dinner in the oven) to get to worship at Anchor Park UMC.  My husband is the pastor there and our youngest daughter Ashley was visiting that Sunday.   As I rushed to my usual door of entry I was startled - I was greeted at a door that doesn't usually have greeters.   I was given a good morning and happy easter and a bulletin and a big smile.   


I remember being a little dazed as I was not prepared for that experience.   The more I thought about it the more I was impressed and surprised at what that greeting meant to someone like me who has been attending Anchor Park UMC for 4 years.   It made me feel good to be greeted and welcomed even though I was not a guest.


Then I read an article in the Lewis Center e-newsletter that encouraged churches to greet everyone.   Here is the article:   The Ministry of Greeting is for Everyone   By Dan Pezet  Full Article 


"The welcome of a greeter sets the tone of love."   How true that was for me and will be for churches that take on this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment