Friday, July 15, 2011

Wow, that was a great tip

I made it to Washington DC for my visit with the General Board of Church and Society.  No major problems with flying other than circling the airport due to bad weather.  Pretty smooth travels.

However, I am not sure I should be trusted in big cities.  I took a taxi from the airport to my hotel.  My driver was a very nice man and we had a great visit.  We got to the hotel and I went to pay him and he got a big surprise.

I was holding $21 in one hand cause I knew that would cover the fare and the tip.  In my other hand I was holding $40.  I handed him what I thought was the $21 and his immediate reaction was "oh mam this is too much".  I thought "wow hasn't he ever gotten a $5 tip before.   He kept saying too much and I did not get it until later.

While checking in to the hotel I opened the hand with the $40 in it to get change for tipping and guess what?  I had $21.   I had given the taxi driver $40 for a $16 cab ride.  No wonder he said it was too much.  At first I was kind of mad at myself but then I began to smile.

Can you imagine how that made him feel?   I can hear him telling the other cabbies the story of his big tip.  He knows I am from Alaska so I wonder if he knows view Alaskans as generous people.  What I really wish I could tell him was that I am a Christian and we are generous people because God is a generous God.

I know my first cab ride in Washington DC was possibly a loss of $20.  I view it as God helping me to be generous.  Hopefully that cab driver was reminded of the God who loves him so much that he not only had a lady from Alaska give him a generous tip but that God loved him so much to send the only Son to live, love and die for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment