Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What A Difference!!!

     I was just reading a wonderful devotion written by a colleague in Iowa using the "transitioning" weather as an image for "transitioning" in life.  It was very appropriate for Iowa but the devotion would be lost on Alaskans.
     In Iowa when the weather is "transitioning" it is important to stay tuned to the radio and TV stations for updates.  The day can begin with rain turning to ice turning to snow turning to a blizzard.  For Iowans when there is bad weather that usually means people are asked and warned to stay home and off the roads.  Tornado season is another time Iowans stay tuned to the radio and TV.
     Contrast that to Alaska.  I am not sure we ever know when the weather is "transitioning" and even if it does transition to ice or snow we are prepared for it and go out anyway.  In Alaska we also don't put much confidence in the weather forecasters because they are usually wrong.  If we stayed home in Alaska when there was snow we would not leave the house for many days and even months at a time.
     Two different parts of the same country and an image has two very different meanings.  I realize I will need to be "transitioning" very soon to the Iowa way of seeing the world.  Much the same as when I transitioned to Alaska 5 years ago.
     I do however thank God that I have a new perspective on the world because of my time in Alaska.  I imagine that as the years go by in Iowa I will still continue to smile and think of Alaska when Iowans cancel events because of a little snow.   God created humans and areas of the world to be different.  Thanks be to God. 
     May each of us understand how different a perspective can be depending on where we are living and our life experiences.  Neither is wrong - just different.

No comments:

Post a Comment