Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Confidence in God is basic to mission

     Some days I get really tired of hearing all the negative news.  I am not talking about the negative news we hear on the TV or read about in the newspaper.   I am tired of hearing all the negative news about the United Methodist Church.   Numbers continue to decline....
     This morning I opened up an email newsletter from the General Board of Global Ministry and there is an article from Thomas Kemper the new General Secretary and it is good news.  He says: Confidence in God is basic to mission.    He goes on to recite the story of the birth of Jesus and what good news that is for all of us.
     If we are going to be Christians and continue to move forward in spite of all the negative news we must have confidence in God.   God has been, is and will continue to be.   God has never disappointed.   I need to remind myself that God is not the one who has not been faithful - it is us.   I find it helpful to hold on to the promise of forgiveness and love even when everything in the world fails and disappoints.   God remains present and strong.
     May this season be a time of claiming:  Confidence in God is basic to mission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment