Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Just Another Reminder - God Is In Control

This past week I was stricken with a mysterious illness - temperature, aches, pains, nausea, chills... you get the idea.  On the first day of this illness I thought - I must have picked up a bug.  I will be up and well by tomorrow.  The next day came and I was not up and well I was still very ill.  Then I began to bargain and rationalize - God I am sure this isn't going to last longer than today - if that is the deal then I will be perfect from now on (right).


The third day came and went and I still was not better.  Finally on the fourth day I woke up feeling better, very weak and dizzy but better.  I was able to eat real food - cautiously.  Now I am definitely on the road to recovery.


As I reflect on this ordeal (yes I have been known to be a little dramatic) I have to confess until the third day - I was determined to be in charge.  I had a childhood notion that I could control being sick.  I even bargained with God.  On the third day I gave in and in my prayer told God that I understood - nothing I was going to do other than rest and drink plenty of liquids - was going to hurry this up.  God was in charge.


Why does it take things like this to help me remember (I mean really remember) that God is in charge.  I am not in control and if I give over the controls to God I will be taken care of in ways I could not even begin to invent.


Thank you God for a bout with the flu (I think).  I don't believe God caused me to be sick but I do know that God was with me every moment and prepared the way for me to be well again.  I do believe that God can help us to turn our "mourning in to dancing" if we will just give over control.


Glimpses of the world the way God would prefer it shine through when we release our tight grip on control.  (If I could just remember that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment